Skip to main content

Adulting

When you left, I made myself a quesadilla.

I have three new scars

On the backs of my hands

From when I burnt myself while trying.

Turns out, it takes a lot of skill to flip a quesadilla.

That is something I clearly don't possess.


In some circles, those burns,

Would brand me 'childish' and 'careless'.

In others, I've finally earned my battle scars.

And battle scars are, of course, the hallmark of adulthood.

So maybe this is adulting: letting yourself get hurt

Just for the bragging rights.


When you left, I threw myself into work.

Filled my mind with anything that would

Keep me from filling it with the lack of you.

There's always so much to do now.

It stops me from asking the questions I know

I will never get the answers to.


Now I'm tired all the time. But there's work to do.

I push it away, but I can't bear to be alone

With only my thoughts for company.

Push, pull, push, pull.

So maybe this is adulting: committing to a million things

But never being able to focus on any of them.


When you left, there was an ache, and a fire,

And a desperation, and and an anger

All at once.

All that, but never acceptance.

Because how can I, without reason,

Accept that what was mine just isn't anymore?


It's said that when you love deeply, you hurt deeply. 

In some circles, that's unnecessary.

In others, it's always worth it.

I'm hurt. Really hurt. But here I am, loving you anyway.

So maybe this is adulting: chasing every single high

Even though the fall is always brutal.


When you left, I told myself I deserve better.

I tried to unlearn what I thought I knew.

But I'm stubborn, and I'm wilful.

Try as I might, something never leaves:

I know I deserve better,

But I only want it from you.


I will stand on this hill

Until I am pushed off.

In some circles, that makes me 'brave' and 'strong',

In others, it makes me the weakest of all.

So maybe this is adulting:

Chasing after what I want, but knowing I will never get it.


When you left, I let you go.

Although I knew I wanted to hold on,

Your heart just wasn't in it anymore.

That night, I held my raggedy bear, the one you loved so dearly,

And cried- because I couldn't tell him

That you'll never come round again.


Even though I'm still a child,

I'm grown. I loved deeply, and was loved in return,

Even if only for a while.

So maybe this is adulting: letting yourself get hurt,

Recognising that it's always worth it,

But knowing when it's time to go.


Once upon a time, you said you liked my childlike wonder./

When you left, you took it with you./

They say you only become an adult when/

You hurt so much that you can't feel anything at all./

I think I know what they meant now. I think you took me there./

Well, I guess I am finally adulting./

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immortality and Object Permanence.

This post was a long time coming, even though I tried my level best to avoid it. There comes a time when one cannot continue to avoid something that’s right there, staring at them, all the time. There comes a time when one has to address the elephant in the room. That time, whether I like it or not, is now. And god, what an elephant it is. I think, however, before we begin, some context is due. There is, in my mind at least, a valid reason I wanted to avoid writing this. But in my battle against writing about- you guessed it- the global pandemic we are currently facing, I ended up avoiding writing entirely . That, obviously, isn’t healthy. Thus, she surrenders. She writes. There are a couple of reasons why I didn’t want to do this, honestly- there’s too much content like this out there already, it’s just giving this entire situation more publicity, I could go on. But the main reason why I didn’t want to write about our current times is a lot more personal, a lot mor

i still have the teddy bear you gave me years ago.

bear.   his name is bear. he's missing his pink bow, but he is still bear. bear sits on my bed, right next to my pillow. he is there when i lie awake at night, tossing and turning feeling like the world is ending wondering why we couldn't hold on. i still have the elephant you got me from your hometown. the one made of wood with a baby elephant inside. i keep it on my desk, under the shelves. its eyes seem to follow me every time i pace the room, worn out but resolute, knowing that we couldn't hold on.  i still have the notebook with our birthday blessings in it. the one in which, on a whim, we decided to  take turns blessing each other  every time a birthday rolled around. i hope the blessings still remain even though we broke like the pen that spilt ink all over centuries-old parchment. it was inevitabe that we couldn't hold on. i still have the inferiority complex i got from being the odd one out for 10 years. it sits right next to my impostor syndnrome and my consta

favourite things//a letter to myself (or my heart, or who i used to be.)

it's your favourite kind of weather tonight. stormy, windy, not too cold but cold enough to want to curl up on your favourite chair and soak it all in. i brewed your favourite cup of chai tonight. ginger, cinnamon and tea leaves steeped in water and  boiled with milk for as long as it takes to sing two  of your favourite songs. i made your favourite bowl of maggi tonight. soupy, but not too soupy. it's warm and comforting. i leaned forward and let the  steam condense on my face like you used to do. i leaned my head against the windowsill and  drew smiley faces on the window with my breath. i listened to your favourite album on repeat using every lyric, every melody, to try and call you home. it's been a while since i've heard you sing or seen you dance like you did before. i wait at the door and i worry  for you, out there alone, punishing yourself for a crime you did not commit. so i make all your favourite things and i sing all your favourite songs while the world out